General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
EricRFMA
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

dyld: Library not loaded, Mac, wxWidgets

Post by EricRFMA »

Hello...

I just started using Codelite, and am currently running Weekly Build - Oct 23, 2014 - CodeLite 7.0, under Mac OS 10.9.5.

I have a simple project... in fact I haven't modified it since I created it. It's a "Simple Executable (wxWidgets enabled)" project.

It builds fine, but when I try to run it I get:

Code: Select all

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/wxmac/lib/libwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Volumes/Projects/Graph_Processing/Debug/./Graph_Processing
  Reason: image not found
If I do an "otool -L" on the executable, sure enough there's:

/usr/local/opt/wxmac/lib/libwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.0.0)
However, I don't have a /usr/local/opt/wxmac directory.

Here's the kicker... the link line looks like this (decomposed for your viewing pleasure):

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/g++ 
-o ./Debug/Graph_Processing @"Graph_Processing.txt"
-L.  
-L/usr/local/Cellar/wxmac/3.0.1/lib  
-framework IOKit
-framework Carbon
-framework Cocoa
-framework AudioToolbox
-framework System
-framework OpenGL
-framework QuickTime
-lwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.0
-lwx_osx_cocoau_webview-3.0
-lwx_osx_cocoau_html-3.0
-lwx_osx_cocoau_qa-3.0
-lwx_osx_cocoau_adv-3.0
-lwx_osx_cocoau_core-3.0
-lwx_baseu_xml-3.0
-lwx_baseu_net-3.0
-lwx_baseu-3.0
There's no mention of /usr/local/opt/wxmac anywhere.

And, in fact, there is a /usr/local/Cellar/wxmac/3.0.1/lib directory which does contain the "missing" dylib (and all the other wx dylibs) which is on the command line.

If I enter the link line directly at a shell prompt, and run the result, the same thing happens. It also happens if I compile from the command-line as well.

Here's the entire build log:

/bin/sh -c '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -j24 -e -f  Makefile'
----------Building project:[ Graph_Processing - Debug ]----------
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/g++   -c  "/Projects/Graph_Processing/main.cpp" -g -O0 -Wall -I/usr/local/Cellar/wxmac/3.0.1/lib/wx/include/osx_cocoa-unicode-3.0 -I/usr/local/Cellar/wxmac/3.0.1/include/wx-3.0 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DwxDEBUG_LEVEL=0 -DWXUSINGDLL -D__WXMAC__ -D__WXOSX__ -D__WXOSX_COCOA__   -o ./Debug/main.cpp.o -I.
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/g++  -o ./Debug/Graph_Processing @"Graph_Processing.txt" -L.   -L/usr/local/Cellar/wxmac/3.0.1/lib   -framework IOKit -framework Carbon -framework Cocoa -framework AudioToolbox -framework System -framework OpenGL -framework QuickTime -lwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.0 -lwx_osx_cocoau_webview-3.0 -lwx_osx_cocoau_html-3.0 -lwx_osx_cocoau_qa-3.0 -lwx_osx_cocoau_adv-3.0 -lwx_osx_cocoau_core-3.0 -lwx_baseu_xml-3.0 -lwx_baseu_net-3.0 -lwx_baseu-3.0
ld: warning: ignoring file /System/Library/Frameworks//QuickTime.framework/QuickTime, file was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64): /System/Library/Frameworks//QuickTime.framework/QuickTime
0 errors, 0 warnings
For good measure, I did an 'nm -a' on main.cpp.o and there's no mention of /usr/local/opt/wxmac anywhere.

I don't know what else to try... can someone advise?

Thanks!

Regards,
Eric
:?:
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: dyld: Library not loaded, Mac, wxWidgets

Post by eranif »

First some comments:
- On OSX - use clang{++} and not g++

There is a good chance that the missing file is symblinked from another file

Try this:

ls -l on the folder: "/usr/local/Cellar/wxmac/3.0.1/lib"

BTW:
Is this a self built wxWidgets?
If its not, then there is a good chance that the packages of wxWidgets did not ran 'install_name_tool' on the output, so the original paths from the builder kept in the binaries you are using.

Try running:
"otool -L" on one of the wxWidgets libraries and see if any library is referencing this path

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
EricRFMA
CodeLite Curious

Post by EricRFMA »

Thanks for your reply, Eran!

I switched to clang++ as recommended

The library is symlinked, which I already had noticed:

-r--r--r--  1 eric  wheel   3758436 Oct 24 05:42 libwx_baseu-3.0.0.1.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 eric  wheel        27 Sep 24 01:30 libwx_baseu-3.0.0.dylib -> libwx_baseu-3.0.0.1.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 eric  wheel        23 Sep 24 01:30 libwx_baseu-3.0.dylib -> libwx_baseu-3.0.0.dylib
It makes it easy to change versions and maintain a file with a higher level version. Not sure how this would enter in to the problem.

However, you hit the nail on the head:

libwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.0.dylib
	/usr/local/opt/wxmac/lib/libwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.0.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 2.0.0)
I didn't build wx myself. I installed it using homebrew.

It doesn't make sense why it would reference /usr/local/opt. Do you have any ideas? I'll look into it in the meantime.

Thanks!

-Eric
EricRFMA
CodeLite Curious

Post by EricRFMA »

It turns out I had a weird hodgepodge of wx installed. I nuked it all, reinstalled wxmac via homebrew, and now, no problem.

Thanks again!

-Eric