automatic appearing of word-completion box?

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
nemesis
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: all

automatic appearing of word-completion box?

Post by nemesis »

hi there!

as it says in the topic, i've been wondering whether there is an option to make the word-completion box appear automatically after a few letters. i found the keyboard shortcut in the keyboard-settings but would appreciate it appearing itself.

greets,
nem
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: automatic appearing of word-completion box?

Post by eranif »

It probably wont make it into a future version of codelite. I dont think that the IDE should automatically interfere with the user typing - it should be "on demand"

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
nemesis
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by nemesis »

well i don't see it as an interruption or interference since it doesn't block typing (at least as far as i experienced it with other ides) and it's quite annoying doing acrobatics on the keyboard everytime i want to complete a symbol (i use it mostly to correct uppercase letters in symbols). just hitting enter when the right word is chosen by the completion (as it is in the membercompletion) is much more comfortable than make it appear with ctrl+shift+any in the first place.
so why not implement it as an option? in this case everybody can choose his favorite behaviour. the completion box for keywords is optional, too.

greets,
nem
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Since I don't see this as an important feature (I actually see this an annoyance) - I will probably won't be implementing this in the near future

However, as usual, patches are most welcome (of course, it should be user configurable, and the default should be set to the current behavior)

Eran
nemesis
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by nemesis »

i sure understand that this might be considered as an annoyance. however i don't quite get it why the default setting for keywords and membernames is to automatically show up the completion boxes on the other hand (since that is what you dislike). i guess you don't use completion at all then?

greets,
nem
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

nemesis wrote:however i don't quite get it why the default setting for keywords and membernames is to automatically show up the completion boxes on the other hand (since that is what you dislike).
It looks more natural to me that when typing '->' or '.' I *expect* the completion box to show, unlike when typing a random sequence of chars. The keywords completion was provided as patch
nemesis wrote:i guess you don't use completion at all then?
I am. If I wouldn't have been using code completion, I wouldn't have bothered to develop it, its just that I use Ctrl-SPACE to make it appear when I need it.

Eran
aprilmot
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by aprilmot »

Hello Eran,
Is it possible to implement this feature (automatic word-completion box), I am also preferring it . It would be better to have it as configurable.

When I type fl in editor I get the completion box popping up automatically and displaying "float", at the same time if I press ctrl+space then I get the full list of functions shown in the popup.
I think the automatic word-completion is enabled for C or C++ keywords only. Could you please extend the same to include the tags also.

Also, when I type "#include <" I expect that codelite displays the list of header files which are present under the include directories, but I couldnt get that box for "#include <"
Do we have this feature in Codelite.

Thank you in Advance
Aprilmot
Long Live the Open Source and Humanity
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

aprilmot wrote:Is it possible to implement this feature (automatic word-completion box), I am also preferring it . It would be better to have it as configurable.
Its a software, everything is possible. But I will probably wont be implementing it like I said earlier: patches are most welcome as long as this feature is configurable.
aprilmot wrote:Also, when I type "#include <" I expect that codelite displays the list of header files which are present under the include directories, but I couldnt get that box for "#include <"
Do we have this feature in Codelite.
you will need to start typing the file name and then use Ctrl-SPACE

Eran
nemesis
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by nemesis »