Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
codemonkey
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

policy on wxscintilla changes?

Post by codemonkey »

Hi,

I just created my first patch for CL but it involves a change to sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/Editor.cxx and I'm wondering what the policy is (if any) on making changes to scintilla to enhance CL.

Thanks,

~ray
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: policy on wxscintilla changes?

Post by eranif »

Hi Ray,
codemonkey wrote:I just created my first patch for CL but it involves a change to sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/Editor.cxx and I'm wondering what the policy is (if any) on making changes to scintilla to enhance CL.
If you could just enclose your change(s) in something like (if possible):

Code: Select all

// PATCH START

Code: Select all

// PATCH END
It will be great. Since I am merging once in a while codelite's sources with Scintilla releases - so it will simply help me to identify the changes

About the change:
What does it do?
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
codemonkey
CodeLite Curious

Post by codemonkey »

Hi Eran,

It implements the change request that I submitted under bug #2979526: to make the upper case/lower case commands change the character to the right of the cursor without requiring a selection. I figured this would be an easy one to get my feet wet with. :)

I'll add comments as you've asked and post the patch.

Thanks,

~ray
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

Hi Ray,

This change can be done entirely without touching scintilla's code (modifying cl_editor.cpp + frame.cpp) is there a reason for not doing it in cl_editor.cpp?
Or maybe if you can attach the patch to this post so I could have a look :)

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
codemonkey
CodeLite Curious

Post by codemonkey »

I'm just getting my feet wet with the code base so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed an easier way. I did wonder if there was another way to implement it, in order to avoid changing scintilla, and I had started to investigate but I'm not really done with that yet. I haven't had any time to work on it this week. I'll take a look at what you suggested. (Thanks).

I'll attach the patch if you want to take a look. Note, however, that I had to change a UI update event for the Lowercase and Uppercase commands because they now need to be enabled even when there's no selection. Initially, I left the event active and just always set them to 'enabled' but I was thinking it may be better to remove the events altogether since they don't really serve any purpose anymore. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

~ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
codemonkey
CodeLite Curious

Post by codemonkey »

Hi Eran,

I re-implemented this without modifying scintilla and I removed the UI update event as I mentioned. I'm going to post the final patch to the tracker now. Thanks for your help...

~ray