Hint/autocomplete thing stays too long on the screen

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
Jan148
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

Hint/autocomplete thing stays too long on the screen

Post by Jan148 »

So, I'm studying computer sciences and we've just started learning C. The editor we're using is Codelite 5.4 (the instructor asked us explicitly to not update to a newer version). It's been a lot of fun but there's been this one thing that Codelite does that is really getting on my nerves. When I type some code, there's often a kind of hint/autocomplete thing that pops on the screen and that does not want to go away, even preventing navigation with the arrow keys. So, how do I get this away? I made a screenshot for more clarification, it's the grey box that says 'const *char, ...'.

Thanks for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: Hint/autocomplete thing stays too long on the screen

Post by eranif »

5.4 is very old and we don't support it anymore.
Please upgrade to 9.1

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Jan148
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jan148 »

eranif wrote:5.4 is very old and we don't support it anymore.
Please upgrade to 9.1

Eran
As I stated in the opening post, our instructor asked to NOT update... is there any way to get this thing away? It might just be something in the options menu that I overlooked?
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,

There was indeed an annoying issue with tooltips a few years ago. IIRC it was fixed in code, or maybe even in wxWidgets code; but that's no help to you unless you do update.

One way to avoid the particular tip that you show is to turn them off; nowadays that's in Setting > Code Completion > Display type info tooltips, but you may find it elsewhere in 5.4.

When I did get a sticky tooltip, I found it sometimes went away if I switched briefly to a different virtual desktop. YMMV of course.

Regards,

David
Jan148
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jan148 »

DavidGH wrote:Hi,

There was indeed an annoying issue with tooltips a few years ago. IIRC it was fixed in code, or maybe even in wxWidgets code; but that's no help to you unless you do update.

One way to avoid the particular tip that you show is to turn them off; nowadays that's in Setting > Code Completion > Display type info tooltips, but you may find it elsewhere in 5.4.

When I did get a sticky tooltip, I found it sometimes went away if I switched briefly to a different virtual desktop. YMMV of course.

Regards,

David
I can't find anything about code completion in the options :cry:
I guess that means I'll have to try and live with it, or try to update anyway despite the instructor asking not to. Thanks for your help anyway.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

I can't find anything about code completion in the options
I just warmed up an old ubuntu lucid virtualbox guest. In that it was in Settings > Tags settings > Display and behaviour.
or try to update anyway despite the instructor asking not to.
Perhaps you could update your instructor ;)
Jan148
CodeLite Curious

Post by Jan148 »

DavidGH wrote:
I can't find anything about code completion in the options
I just warmed up an old ubuntu lucid virtualbox guest. In that it was in Settings > Tags settings > Display and behaviour.
or try to update anyway despite the instructor asking not to.
Perhaps you could update your instructor ;)
Thank you so much! Somehow overlooked that but those annoying popup boxes are now gone :)
And yes, perhaps I should do that :D