Two new plugins: Workspace Search / Zoom Navigator

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Two new plugins: Workspace Search / Zoom Navigator

Post by eranif »

caibbor wrote:oh, very nice. I suppose I don't have permissions to make changes, I'd have to submit a patch?
Yes - only patches
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
spaces
CodeLite Veteran
IDE Question: c++

Post by spaces »

Ohohoh, very nice! Looking forward to release!
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran

Post by caibbor »

The plugin in svn 6200 is slightly broken

* switching to another editor doesn't change the text in the zoom pane. it still shows text from the first one opened without any functionality. only when you disable/re-enable the plugin does it update the text, and then it's just stuck on THAT editor's text until you disable/re-enable again.

* clicking, double-clicking, right-clicking, ... no clicking on the zoom pane has any effect. it's supposed to take you to the section of code you clicked on.

* the syntax highlighting somewhat works, except it's not the same syntax highlighting as in the large editor. it only seems to highlight literals, macros, and comments.

* when enabling the plugin with an editor already open, it doesn't highlight the viewable code until you scroll once on the large editor.

* after detaching the zoom nav panel from the workspace book and attaching it to another area, and closing & re-opening codelite, the panel is gone. it's not attached anywhere, floating, nor inside the book. and it is still enabled in settings.

I can take a look at these problems a little later, but this is a heads up.

edit: after a quick look at the code, it appears everything is in order but the events just aren't being hooked for some reason.

edit2: I'm gonna do a bit of regression testing:

svn 6200: fully updated codeblocks, problems outlined above.
svn 6199: fully updated codeblocks except ZoomNavigator directory is updated to 6199. deleted ~/.codelite/. Switching Editors problem is NON-EXISTENT. must have happened in snv6200.
Last edited by caibbor on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

caibbor wrote:clicking, double-clicking, right-clicking, ... no clicking on the zoom pane has any effect. it's supposed to take you to the section of code you clicked on.
Yes, I am fixing this now - had to commit it that way because I left work and I wanted to continue working on it at home ;)
caibbor wrote:when enabling the plugin with an editor already open, it doesn't highlight the viewable code until you scroll once on the large editor.
Also in progress
caibbor wrote:after detaching the zoom nav panel from the workspace book and attaching it to another area, and closing & re-opening codelite, the panel is gone. it's not attached anywhere, floating, nor inside the book. and it is still enabled in settings
This is a seems like a general bug in codelite - you can re-enable it from: "Perspective -> Restore Default layout"

Eran
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran

Post by caibbor »

okay, cool. well otherwise this thing is looking quite sexy.
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran

Post by caibbor »

One feature I wanted to squeeze in there was the ability to click&drag the highlighed area to scroll the main document. I had problems with this since the pane scrolls itself and then you get into an ever-moving selection and, that isn't really good for anything.

And one problem I had with the original implementation as well as it's current form is the use of markers to do the highlighting. un/highlighting each non/visible line is a slower process than it needs to be. I'd rather just draw some sort of translucent quad over the text instead (not sure what else to call it, I'm an OpenGL programmer :P). you can tell there is lag when you play scroll with it enabled as opposed to disabled ( at least on some lower-end machines ).
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

caibbor wrote:the syntax highlighting somewhat works, except it's not the same syntax highlighting as in the large editor. it only seems to highlight literals, macros, and comments.
its the same syntax highlight except that it lacks the "context" coloring (the "real" editor as a context member which is responsible for fetching interesting words from the database and pass them on to scintilla)
Adding this will simply kill the performance ... (which is already quite CPU consuming)

FYI:
It works pretty instant on Windows, you can't tell the different. However, on Linux its a different story... you can see the slowness - this is why I placed the "enable plugin" checkbox there - to allow user to quickly turn it off/on
I am trying new approach: using wxIdleEvent instead of the current hooking I did to the scrolling.

Eran
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Try 'svn update' and see how it works for you now

Eran
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran

Post by caibbor »

It is fully functional (svn 6205). It's still got the lag on this linux box (the one I use at work is quite old, but my laptop at home doesnt chug at all).

I also noticed the top highlighted line is the one used for the center of the zoompane scrolling, instead of the center of the entire highlighted area. kind of annoying but, not a big deal by any means.

I'm pretty happy with it overall.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Yes, its still a bit laggy on old linux boxes / mac
This is why by default it starts as 'Disabled'

Eran