Questions

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
shadoww
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Questions

Post by shadoww »

With the release of codelite 16 I wonder where the project is going. CTags were taken out and only Clangd code completion remains. The user can no longer see comments at times, there are no mouse over tips on functions and parameters to functions don't show comments anymore either. Global find and replace was also removed completely. The Find Symbol works very well and is a huge improvement however making me stay with version 16.
My question is: Are the plans to put all this back in as time permits?

Also on Linux what distro do you recommend for codelite, On pure arch it has been kind of a roller coaster ride. For example GDB just stopped working for me the other day but LLDB still works find. I like GDB because you can add watches with math sometimes.

I like Codelite as I think its the best open source IDE for me. Then there is clion and its privacy statement saying they they will do anything they want and will change the agreement at anytime making me want to stay far away.

ALso, On Linux I get a lot of background flashing still as well where I wasn't before which is more of an annoyance than anything and large files scroll slowly now. Don't know if the scrolling was a bug before as the files have been growing in size.

shadoww
CodeLite Enthusiast

Re: Questions

Post by shadoww »

Actually after installing on my Linux Mint VM a lot of the features are back. Looks like my Arch install of 1.5 years is about to come to an end.

shadoww
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by shadoww »

Correction!! I was using the last version of Linux mint the latest version has most of the same issues but some tips will appear that will not on arch. There are some bugs here for sure.

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

just to comment:
ctags was re-factored.
it is no longer called "ctags", instead, we have ctagsd . Similar to clangd , but based on ctags.
You can check which completion engine to use from: plugins -> language servers -> settings
where you can enable which engines to use

Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
shadoww
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by shadoww »

I've done a lot of research since then and distro hopped back to Linux Mint. CTags were checked on codelite arch and everything was installed. Even removed my .codelite directory and reset up everything and still most of the code completion was not working. On Linux Mint (Ubuntu) Everything just works when installed. Also a note that on arch when running valgrind it would output to some desktop folder and not auto open, this does not happen on Ubuntu which is really strange. I do know that arch has been having issues with their toolchains lately. I tried downgrading but was having to downgrade to many packages so I stopped. My guess is that the format of something changed and the code completion was no longer able to parse it. Nothing in the logs about it.

The things not working on Arch:
GDB
Mouse over code completions:
Functions,
smart pointers,
variables (do have something but the output is truncated)
AUTO variables,
ValGrind works but not well. (have to run from command line then import the output file due to that strange folder issue)
Slow Scrolling of big files (downgrading wxwidgets fixed this)
background Flashing even with the line numbers off (Again a down grade fixes this)

But this all works on Ubuntu! I realize that arch can be a moving target and hard to code against which is why I moved back to Mint but I really did like arch for some reason. Also note that I started a completely separate VM with Endeavor Linux on it and made a small test program and saw the same issues. It was just something with a class that had functions, that were called by the main function and the code completion was not working.

shadoww
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by shadoww »

Also, I'm not making bug about this due to the fact that it has more to do with the packages available in the distro.

shadoww
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by shadoww »

I installed Clang-14 in Linux mint and everything still works when pointing at clangd-14 and ctagsd off. Right now I don't know what is going on.