how to build only files that have changed?

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
N7DR
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

how to build only files that have changed?

Post by N7DR »

I am a brand new user, migrating from Eclipse as the latter is no longer included in debian stable (and the version downloaded from eclipse.org spews java errors in the new debian stable [buster]).

I am used to the behaviour of eclipse and ordinary make with a properly-constructed makefile, in which only files that have changed, or which include files that have changed, are recompiled during a build. However, at least in my installation of codelite, when I ask it to build a project, it recompiles every *cpp file, regardless of whether it needs to do so. How do I configure codelite so that it intelligently recompiles only the files that need to be recompiled?
N7DR
CodeLite Enthusiast

Re: how to build only files that have changed?

Post by N7DR »

Well, weirdly, after closing codelite yesterday and re-opening it today -- on two machines, running codelite 10.0 and 12.0 -- it now seems to behave as I expected. I don't understand why "Build" yesterday on both machines was causing a complete rebuild each time, but for whatever reason that's no longer the case so I guess I'll just put it down to gremlins.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: how to build only files that have changed?

Post by eranif »

Usually when this happens, it means that there is some timestamp issue with one of the dependency files.
To fix this, I simply do a rebuild of the project (clean followed by build)
This fixes it
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread