Is there any way to disable virtual folders?

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
wingdings
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Is there any way to disable virtual folders?

Post by wingdings »

I would rather just work with a real directory tree. Alternately, is there any "export" functionality,, to convert your projects virtual structure to an actual file system structure? Thanks.

DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Is there any way to disable virtual folders?

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,

I don't use it myself, but it sounds as if you should choose the newish File System workspace.

Regards,

David

wingdings
CodeLite Curious

Post by wingdings »

Thanks, this seems to work. You just have to write your own makefile, and you can't move files from within Codelite. Out of curiosity, what are the advantages of using virtual folders? I can see how it would simplify local #include directives. Should I give it another try?

Codelite works really well, btw!

Last edited by wingdings on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Post by DavidGH »

Out of curiosity, what are the advantages of using virtual folders?

For me, it's mostly habit; as I said, File System workspaces are fairly new. But virtual directories do allow me to categorise dirs and files as I wish, without needing to alter their real location.

And anyway, if I want to replicate their real structure, it's quite easy to do that with the Reconcile Project dialog.

MrDixioner
CodeLite Curious

Post by MrDixioner »

I don't see any point in using a virtual project structure either. Firstly, this is confusing for beginners, and secondly, it is not convenient to synchronize the real file system with the virtual one (you only do this with files, but there are no settings for real folders).
To transfer the project to an already existing workspace, it was possible to make a settings file in the root of this folder and load the necessary folder and file settings from it, and the parent folder would be automatically converted to the project name.

Linux Mint 21.1, CodeLite 16.7.0

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

There are advantages of using virtual folders (e.g. you can organize your source code in a more logic way without affecting the changes to the file system like placing .cpp files in a src folder and h files in headers. Or just making virtual folders for logical components (base, network etc))

Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread