jfouche
CodeLite Guru
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Adding VisualStudio functions

Post by jfouche »

Hi Eran

I need others Visual studio interface functions :
Synchronize a CL workspace with a Visual studio solution (add / remove files / project from CL).

Do you think I can modify CL (by adding a synchronize workspace menu), or do I have to create a new VisualStudio plugin in order to do this ?

I need this because I have to use Visual Studio in my company (no way, I can't change, quality processes), but the CL editor is better. So the team works with sln / vcproj, which is the reference, but we can CL as editor (and as compiler as I compile like this :
CleanCommand : devenv core.vcproj /Clean Debug
BuildCommand : devenv core.vcproj /nologo /Project tce_core /Build Debug
Jérémie
foxmuldr
CodeLite Expert

Re: Adding VisualStudio functions

Post by foxmuldr »

jfouche wrote:I need others Visual studio interface functions :
Synchronize a CL workspace with a Visual studio solution (add / remove files / project from CL).

Do you think I can modify CL (by adding a synchronize workspace menu), or do I have to create a new VisualStudio plugin in order to do this ?
I have thought a version of this would be a great idea, something like an "export as Visual Studio solution" function from any CL workspace. But I think you're talking about importing a Visual Studio project, converting it temporarily as a "linked-to-VS-project" workspace, which automatically synchronizes back to the VS solution when closing the CL workspace. Excellent idea. :-)
I need this because I have to use Visual Studio in my company (no way, I can't change, quality processes), but the CL editor is better.
There's a program by The Whole Tomato called Visual Assist-X, which greatly increases the functionality of Visual Studio. You might want to take a look at it. They have a 30-day free trial, and the author who maintains it (it's non-free software) is very good about adding useful additional functionality. It supports Visual Studio 97 through 2010.

http://www.wholetomato.com/

- Rick
Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
www.Visual-FreePro.org
www.LibSF.org
jfouche
CodeLite Guru

Post by jfouche »

Hi Rick
foxmuldr wrote:

I have thought a version of this would be a great idea, something like an "export as Visual Studio solution" function from any CL workspace. But I think you're talking about importing a Visual Studio project, converting it temporarily as a "linked-to-VS-project" workspace, which automatically synchronizes back to the VS solution when closing the CL workspace. Excellent idea. :-)
I agree with you, this should be a good idea to synchronize in both directions : CL <-> VS, but CL -> VS is probably harder, due to the multiple versions of VS (well it's just suppositions)...
Jérémie
jfouche
CodeLite Guru

Post by jfouche »

Eran

No point of view about this ?
Jérémie
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

In general, I added the VS -> CL migration just to be able to convert the original codelite workspace (which before codelite was stable enough, it was developed using VS7.1) from sln into codelite workspace.
Also, I don't think that codelite should support this feature, but rather it should be a one time activity.

If you really need that functionality, you should create your own plugin for this purpose (obviously, if it good enough, as I am sure it will, I will be more than happy to include it as part of codelite)
foxmuldr wrote: have thought a version of this would be a great idea, something like an "export as Visual Studio solution" function from any CL workspace
You should write a plugin for this task.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread