[PATCH] Auto Closing Brackets (Opt-in feature) [2340288]

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
evilissimo
CodeLite Curious

[PATCH] Auto Closing Brackets (Opt-in feature) [2340288]

Post by evilissimo »

Hi,

I am new to CodeLite but I really like it. I've been missing an editor feature which I promptly reported and implemented (because I really love this feature in Visual Studio's Visual Assist X Plugin) :D

The feature is for auto closing brackets if you type any of (, [, or { it will add the corresponding counter part on the same line and keeps the caret infront of it. So you edit in-between :-)

Is the corresponding feature request:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=979963

The patch I have attached is also adding an option to the editor menu in the misc tab which is by default disabled. So it's possible to turn it on and off (if it sucks for example :mrgreen: )

Regards,
Vinzenz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: [PATCH] Auto Closing Brackets (Opt-in feature) [2340288]

Post by eranif »

evilissimo wrote:Hi,

I am new to CodeLite but I really like it. I've been missing an editor feature which I promptly reported and implemented (because I really love this feature in Visual Studio's Visual Assist X Plugin) :D

The feature is for auto closing brackets if you type any of (, [, or { it will add the corresponding counter part on the same line and keeps the caret infront of it. So you edit in-between :-)

Is the corresponding feature request:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=979963

The patch I have attached is also adding an option to the editor menu in the misc tab which is by default disabled. So it's possible to turn it on and off (if it sucks for example :mrgreen: )

Regards,
Vinzenz
Thanks for the patch, however I did not accept it for the below reasons, (but I did use your idea):

1) Since this is more of an editor feature and not something which is only relevant to C++ (for example it is useful for XML editing as well), I added the implementation at the editor level and not the context level (i.e. instead of context_cpp.cpp I added the insertion code at cl_editor.cpp)
2) The settings -> editor -> misc is not the correct place for it, so I moved it to settings -> editor -> general under Guides section
3) using EditorConfigST::Get()->GetLongValue() is an expensive operation which I prefer not to call it every time user types ([{ (since it involves querying the XML which is quite large), so:
- I moved the settings to OptionsConfig (since this is the correct place for options of type settings -> editor -> general
- It is being kept as member of LEditor class, and been initialized at SetProperties() which is called whenever the 'Settings' dialog is dismissed
4) I made the code a bit more smart: If the counter part already exist, dont add another one

But as you can guess, I liked the idea so I took the liberty of implementing it myself (hope you don't mind ;))

Committed in SVN trunk.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
evilissimo
CodeLite Curious

Post by evilissimo »

Hi,

no I don't mind of course ;-) I just did a quick implementation for it without really knowing the code, design or any idea behind it. I just missed this feature so I modified my version ;-)

And a good move to optimize it right away :-) Also I like that you added the check for the counter part ;-)

I just started using this editor on Saturday and did not really spend much time with the code I just wanted to have this done for me 8-)

Thanks for your quick response :-)

Regards,
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Another thing that we both missed:
- CodeLite will now ignore this feature while in comment or string

in SVN trunk
Eran
evilissimo
CodeLite Curious

Post by evilissimo »

Hi,

I've improved the whole thing a bit to the behavior I'd expect/like to see. Have a try if you like it :-)
I removed the check for the counter part because you cannot do them nested with the same behaviour however have a try 8-)

Regards,
Vinzenz 'evilissimo' Feenstra
2340288_improvement.diff.tar.bz2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Applied in SVN trunk
Eran
denk_mal
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by denk_mal »

Hi Eran,

I believe the general tab needs a scrollbar ;)
I found some (very usefull) options that where new for me when I made the settings window greater. :o

should I post a feature request?

denk_mal
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

denk_mal wrote:should I post a feature request?
No... since resizing the dialog will solve this (when installing clean codelite, the dialog will show all items, you can remove the file C:\Program Files\CodeLite\config\codelite.xml to get "clean" state")

@evilissimo
You might want to update SVN and give your feature a try: Scott (sdolim) improved it significantly!

Eran
evilissimo
CodeLite Curious

Post by evilissimo »

Now this is awesome :-)
It's even better than with Visual Assist X :-)

Thanks a lot :-)
sdolim
CodeLite Veteran

Post by sdolim »

I have a problem with the size of the settings dialog. My Windows box is a Fujitsu Lifebook P1610, with a screen resolution of 1280x768.

The dialog has grown so big now that it goes off the bottom of the screen. I can't reach the bottom few settings on the General tab, nor can I get to the OK/Cancel buttons -- I use Tab/Enter/ESC (blindly) to close the dialog.

I think that with some rearrangement of the options the dialog could be made smaller. Or, there's that scrollbar idea. :)

What do you think Eran? I'm willing to work on it if you approve the idea.

Scott