Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: codelite roadmap

Post by eranif »

garfield wrote:. VS import.
codelite has this ability too, but it was never tested properly.
garfield wrote:- working tooltips! Really! If I cannot select an expression, hover over it, and see the value, Im better of writing just a cout or whatever and forget about it. (I dont need Watches *that* much if I have working tooltips at any time... I really cant remember using Watches at all "back in the VS days" - only tooltips )
codelite implemented something similar to VS smart tips (a tree-tip) with auto-dereferencing which actually works. I debug codelite with codelite all the time - and it simply works.
garfield wrote:3. Code completion and hinting that actually *works* (again acroooss the board, not for screencast).
You will find codelite code-completion working. in the next release (coming out in 1-2 days) code completion was improved *a lot* it interprets STL iterators (map, vector, list, set etc) very well and AFAIK, beside KDevelop4, I think it is the only open source IDE that actually provides code-completion for the STL templates (I also tested Qt templates and boost - both are working)

Obviously, there are still things that needs improvments, and if you will follow the svn commit you will that codelite improves on a daily basis.

I strongly suggest that you use SVN version of codelite.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
dlh
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by dlh »

eranif wrote:
garfield wrote:. VS import.
codelite has this ability too, but it was never tested properly.
Eran
and it didn't work right for me. It does not seem to generate the correct "project" defines to have a functioning make file.

Attached is a patch of a hack, that will show the areas I found as problematic and was able to figure out some fix for - while the problem for .lib, .dll, and .exe were similar, I didn't address them all in the quite the same way, and it may be that none of them is really correct.

The patch does _not_ address the additional failure of the import to pull in pre-built binary items that can be part of a VC project, that are not in the "expected" part of the VC project. (It is possible to add a .lib or a .obj at the same level of the project as source files - although I always have trouble remembering how to do it.) I'm not sure codelite currently is able to support that type of project item anyway - I think I tried, but failed to figure out how to add such an item with codelite - the libs all had to be added into the "link" tab of the configuration options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

dlh wrote:and it didn't work right for me. It does not seem to generate the correct "project" defines to have a functioning make file.

Attached is a patch of a hack, that will show the areas I found as problematic and was able to figure out some fix for - while the problem for .lib, .dll, and .exe were similar, I didn't address them all in the quite the same way, and it may be that none of them is really correct.

The patch does _not_ address the additional failure of the import to pull in pre-built binary items that can be part of a VC project, that are not in the "expected" part of the VC project. (It is possible to add a .lib or a .obj at the same level of the project as source files - although I always have trouble remembering how to do it.) I'm not sure codelite currently is able to support that type of project item anyway - I think I tried, but failed to figure out how to add such an item with codelite - the libs all had to be added into the "link" tab of the configuration options.
I did not apply your patch, but I did all the mentioned points that you tried to address and more.
The import should now be more smooth (I tried it on FreeImage project)

Eran
evstevemd
CodeLite Guru

Post by evstevemd »

Here are my wish list:
Hit F1 and you have the help (at least the menu containing basic instructions at codelite.org)
Auto Fill the needed includes (like eclipse's organize import), sorry I'm a being kinda lazy here ;)

Others I will post as I meet needs :D
Last edited by evstevemd on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CodeLite 15.x
CodeLite is awesome, I just Love it!

kspes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by kspes »

yeah, include auto completion is cool :) XCode has that feature and it's a life saver;
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

evstevemd wrote:
  • Auto Fill the needed includes (like eclipse's organize import), sorry I'm a being kinda lazy here ;)
Right click on a class/function and select from the menu: 'Add include file for...'

Eran
evstevemd
CodeLite Guru

Post by evstevemd »

you haven't got me well friend!
let me explain:
in eclipse (that is java heh!), you can just code without importing anything. Once done and before compiling to .class you do "organize import". What Eclipse does is it imports all the used classes used in your class. This will save you pain of importing everything every time you use new component!

CodeLite 15.x
CodeLite is awesome, I just Love it!

kspes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by kspes »

evstevemd wrote:What Eclipse does is it imports all the used classes used in your class
you mean like a function that would scan all your function calls and used classes in a c++ file and then suggest which include files you need to include (and haven't yet included)?

I was refering to another feature XCode has, when you type eg. '''#include <std''', an autocompletion box comes up suggesting eg "stdio.h", "stdlib.h" etc.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

kspes wrote:'''#include <std''', an autocompletion box comes up suggesting eg "stdio.h", "stdlib.h" etc.
Ctrl-SPACE when you type #include <std codelite will offer completion as well

Eran
kspes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by kspes »

oh, cool, didn't notice that. Is this a recently introduced feature? I don' think I've seen it in 2.2 (that's why I mentioned it)