wxTimer events in wxCrafter?

Post here wxCrafter related issues / features / bugs
koekhaos
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

wxTimer events in wxCrafter?

Post by koekhaos »

I couldn't find any spot in wxCrafter to set up a wxTimer event so I set it up myself. Next time I made a change in wxCrafter, though, it seems to delete all my edits to add a timer. Is there a way to make it not delete my added code or a way to add a timer otherwise? I'm giving CodeLite and wxCrafter a try after using CodeBlocks for years because Codeblocks is lagging behind and hasn't supported OSX well in a long time so I am trying to make sure it's usable for me. So far I like a lot of stuff about CodeLite. Thanks!
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: wxTimer events in wxCrafter?

Post by eranif »

Two important things:

You are not supposed to temper with the generated code (you have a big comment at the top "do not edit...")
When you generate code, you will get 4 files, you are suppose to write down your code in the ones that contain your subclasses

See this short tutorial: http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/WxCrafterHelloWorld

In wxCrafter, timer events can be added only to top level windows (wxFrame or wxDialog)
You need to select your top level window and then from the "Advanced" tab, add a wxTimer (see the screenshot)
wxTimer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
koekhaos
CodeLite Curious

Post by koekhaos »

Awesome, thanks! I wasn't expecting to find it in the controls section instead of events. It's been a bit confusing to start since there isn't a lot of documentation/tutorials but for the most part CodeLite/wxCrafter seems easier than CodeBlocks/wxSmith once I stop overthinking things. The biggest things left so far I have, beyond greater documentation for wxCrafter(Unless I am missing it), are that sometimes code-completion doesn't seem to activate until I backup and retype, sometimes the program crashes when I close it, and block uncommenting doesn't seem to work. Other than those I am really enjoying it. Going to keep playing with it some more and come back if I have more questions. Thanks!

Edit:
The crash on close happens on both 10.0.0 and 10.0.5. The crash report shows it as 9.3.0.0 though, which I guess just means the executable hadn't been updated. I can most often get it to happen when I click don't save on closing though I had it happen one other time without that being the case if I recall. Windows 8.1 is my OS. Not really a big deal since it doesn't actually do anything bad as far as I can tell but in case you were curious.

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	codelite.exe
  Application Version:	9.3.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	59444ba8
  Fault Module Name:	StackHash_d56e
  Fault Module Version:	6.3.9600.18438
  Fault Module Timestamp:	57ae642e
  Exception Code:	c0000374
  Exception Offset:	PCH_7E_FROM_ntdll+0x0000000000090C6A
  OS Version:	6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	d56e
  Additional Information 2:	d56eed6f394028a2a07126aafa2779fe
  Additional Information 3:	ffff
  Additional Information 4:	ffff104ac1b5e613039bf6563d4f5bd5
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

You are using an old version of CodeLite (9.3) - please use the latest
The application version shnould be 10.0.5
koekhaos
CodeLite Curious

Post by koekhaos »

Sorry if I wasn't very clear I sometimes have trouble with that. This error is in CodeLite 10.0.5, and also happened when I was using 10.0.0. The error upon crash is listing is reporting 9.3 though, meaning that even though it is CodeLite 10.0.5 the executable version properties shows 9.3.0.0. Again, it's not a big deal since it only crashes during exit sometimes which doesn't cause a real problem as far as I can tell beyond the tiniest bit of aesthetics annoyance.
verionerror.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Ok, thanks. I fixed that in Git head.
Can you tell me whether this is a 32 or 64 bit version of CodeLite?

Thanks
koekhaos
CodeLite Curious

Post by koekhaos »

I'm using windows 8.1 64bit and CodeLite 10.0.5 64bit. I've been opening and closing CodLite for the past half hour and can almost always get it to crash with one specific thing. It takes ~20 seconds to open CodeLite and ~60 seconds to close CodeLite. The crash always happens right around the 60 second mark when it does happen. It also doesn't seem to be happening if the wxCrafter tab is closed. I can open the tab and close it and not get a crash. But if the tab is open and focused it crashed every single time. With the tab open but not focused, IE hidden, it sometimes crashed and sometimes didn't. Hope this info will help.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Thanks this is a useful tip, I will try and make it crash here

Eran