a foolish move

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
zaphod
CodeLite Veteran

a foolish move

Post by zaphod »

I recently upgraded one of my workstations from version 13 to version 17. I perhaps should have been updating more often but Codelite kept telling me I had the latest version. I'm running Linux Mint 20.3 with Kernel 5.4

Version 17 may have a problem with it's makefile generator. It doesn't seem to recurse #include statements to find all dependencies that may have changed. I use an #include to modify my code by including one C file in another. This works just fine in version 13. A clean build works fine, of course, in 17.

Secondly, the syntax coloring seems to have gone ? I suspect 17 simply doesn't like 13 configuration files...

Last, when I moved my project code to a version 13 machine the configuration files from version 17 cause Codelite 13 to crash. If I restore the version 13 configuration files things, of course, work fine.

I have a couple of choices. Version 13 was fine for me (if it ain't broke why fix it?) so maybe I can find a way of reverting the version 17 back to version 13. Or, perhaps, move forward to 17 on all the workstations (there are four) ?

zaphod
CodeLite Veteran

Re: a foolish move

Post by zaphod »

Well, it looks like I've fixed my problem (kinda).

first
sudo apt remove codelite
then I installed
CodeLite-14.0.4-gtk3-ubuntu-focal-x86_64.deb
from the Codelite archive (just a download and a double click)

In previous upgrades of Codelite, that I have done over the years, the config files were entirely compatible.

shadoww
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: a foolish move

Post by shadoww »

I agree, these changes from 15+ have been for the worse. Unfortunately Linux has been moving fast and it can be hard to keep up with. Features that no longer work:

• Renaming, Broken for many years on Linux now, worked when I first started using it however.
  • Control to define the code formatting.
  • Missing themes (like Monaki)
  • Missing direct LLDB debugger (GDB still there). LSP is really lacking in features and not usable.

I'm not trying to bash the developer but just trying to make a point. When features that were there are not there anymore it makes it hard for uses to use the product and frankly many will loose trust. I hope that the next version fixes a lot of this but I expect that the control for source code formatting will always be missing as there are online resources that one can use to define it. I personally don't know why everyone seems to be flocking to LSP and DAPs as they are created by Microsoft and frankly I don't want to use them and they lack certain features.

Thank you for creating codelite it has been a great tool but I'm afraid I will have to use something else. Been looking at clion, yes it is paid but I need something that works and will be at least some what reliable. QTCreator has a really bad GUI.