CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
Krister
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

New user

Post by Krister »

Hi!

I'm a new user. I intend to read the manuals and learn CodeLite. However right now I'm in a bind. For reasons which will take too long to explain I need to open and read a .bin file today.

The binary file is meant to be flashed on to an ESP8266MOD chip. I need to read the original C or C++ code which was used. Again, I know it sounds strange but I really need to give look at the code today/tonight.

May I humbly ask for your help with this?
Sincerely yours
Krister

Ps.
If it helps you I attached the original binary file here. The forum wouldn't accept the .bin file extension so I changed it to .txt. To get the original .bin file just change the extension back to .bin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Re: New user

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,

At least one of us is confused about this question. CodeLite is an IDE; that is, it's primarily a program that helps you read and write text-files (the text will be the source-code that you wish to compile). An IDE is not designed to read binary files. The only slightly-relevant thing it can do is to run the program in a debugger, pause it and then look at the disassembler output e.g. (not your program)
disassembler.png
As you can see, that's not C++.
I need to read the original C or C++ code which was used.
Converting machine code back to the original C/C++ is ... non-trivial ;) Your only sensible choice is to ask the owner for a sight of the source-code.
However, FWIW, I downloaded your .bin file and checked it with 'file', which reported:
DOS executable (COM)

I don't know if you have access to a Linux box, so I also did 'strings' for you, which found the attached strings.
strings-output.txt
That may or may not be helpful, depending on why you needed to see the source-code.

Regards,

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.