Can't install Compilers

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
Hators
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Can't install Compilers

Post by Hators »

I used the Setup Wizard and there is my compiler MinGW-64 but when i finish the Setup i see the changes ( like the colors ) but then Codelite restart and it's like nothing happend : My compiler is not install and the colors are basics. And if I try to remake the Setup Wizard, nothing happend at all.
I dowload Codelite 16.1.0 for Windows 10 ( 64 bits ).
Thanks for your help !

[11:53:48:245 SYS] [Main] Restarting CodeLite: C:\Program Files\CodeLite\codelite.exe
[11:53:48:326 SYS] [Main] User's lexers.json file is too old, loading default settings
[11:53:48:753 ERR] [Main] Could not locate build configuration! CodeLite installation is broken this might cause unwanted behavior!

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Can't install Compilers

Post by eranif »

Have you tried deleting the folder %appdata%\codelite ?

Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Hators
CodeLite Curious

Post by Hators »

Yes I tried this several times but it don't work.

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

This error indicates that the build_settings.xml file is corrupted.
Can you confirm this? %appdata%\codelite\config\build_settings.xml

kil'ka
CodeLite Curious

Post by kil'ka »

There is bug in 16.7 (installed with installer from site) too. I'll provide some description:

I'm using clang64 compiler from msys2. Msys2 installed with "pacman -S mingw-w64-clang-x86_64-toolchain" to "d:\cxxdt\msys64". "d:\cxxdt\msys64\clang64\bin" added to PATH variable.

1) When you first time start CodeLite compilers are not found except for rustc.
2.a) Settings -> Build settings -> scan for compilers also can't find compilers
2.b) Settings -> Build settings -> add an existing compiler find MinGW (<path_to_compiler>) when you specify the path to folder "d:\cxxdt\msys64\clang64\bin"

delete %appdata%\Roaming\codelite
Then i created symlink with "mklink /D "c:\msys64" "d:\cxxdt\msys64"" and delete "d:\cxxdt\msys64\clang64\bin" from PATH variable

1) When you first time start CodeLite 3 compilers was found (clang64/clang-15.0.5 and clang64/gcc-15.0.5 and rustc)
2.a) Settings -> Build settings -> scan for compilers also find 3 compilers (clang64/clang-15.0.5 and clang64/gcc-15.0.5 and rustc)
2.b) Settings -> Build settings -> add an existing compiler find gcc-15.0.5 when you specify the path to folder "d:\cxxdt\msys64\clang64\bin"

Upd: all cases where compilers was found they wrote path to Gdb field (<path_to_compiler>\gdb.exe) while gdb.exe is not exists in bin folder

Last edited by kil'ka on Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kil'ka
CodeLite Curious

Post by kil'ka »

kil'ka wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:22 pm

There is bug in 16.7 (installed with installer from site) too. I'll provide some description:

I'm using clang64 compiler from msys2. Msys2 installed with "pacman -S mingw-w64-clang-x86_64-toolchain" to "d:\cxxdt\msys64". "d:\cxxdt\msys64\clang64\bin" added to PATH variable.

1) When you first time start CodeLite compilers are not found except for rustc.
2.a) Settings -> Build settings -> scan for compilers also can't find compilers
2.b) Settings -> Build settings -> add an existing compiler find MinGW (<path_to_compiler>) when you specify the path to folder "d:\cxxdt\msys64\clang64\bin"

delete %appdata%\Roaming\codelite
Then i created symlink with "mklink /D "c:\msys64" "d:\cxxdt\msys64"" and delete "d:\cxxdt\msys64\clang64\bin" from PATH variable

1) When you first time start CodeLite 3 compilers was found (clang64/clang-15.0.5 and clang64/gcc-15.0.5 and rustc)
2.a) Settings -> Build settings -> scan for compilers also find 3 compilers (clang64/clang-15.0.5 and clang64/gcc-15.0.5 and rustc)
2.b) Settings -> Build settings -> add an existing compiler find gcc-15.0.5 when you specify the path to folder "d:\cxxdt\msys64\clang64\bin"

Upd: all cases where compilers was found they wrote path to Gdb field (<path_to_compiler>\gdb.exe) while gdb.exe is not exists in bin folder

In addition to previous post: when autodetect find clang64/clang-15.0.5 it writes Include paths to Settings -> Build settings -> Advanced tab, which usually no need to modify this field and it should be left empty (as the hint says)

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

thanks for reporting this.
an issue in GitHub is a better location for such a report ;)
the problem with MSYS (which I personally use and I am building CodeLite with it on Windows - using clang64/clang) is that I could not find a reliable way of detecting MSYS2 installation path. So CodeLite tries the common path: C:\msys64)
This is why the symlink worked for you

https://github.com/eranif/codelite/blob ... YS2.cpp#L9

eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

with this commit: https://github.com/eranif/codelite/comm ... 944bbec989
CodeLite is now able to locate your MSYS2 folder without "guessing"

So installing MSYS2 in the path you mentioned earlier should work as expected