Bugs in new compiler annotations

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
marfi
CodeLite Expert

Bugs in new compiler annotations

Post by marfi »

Hi,
I've compiled the latest SVN code (rev 2926) today and realized the way of displaying of compiler's errors and warnings has changed. It looks good but there are lot of bugs in the new system. The main problems deal with corrupted colours, fonts and texts in the annotation rectangles. Please, see attached screenshots. Moreover, In my opinion a height of the annotation frame is too big - one line height could be enough. Next problem is if the annotation frame exceeds editor's width then there is no way how to scroll it/make it fully visible. Maybe it would be nice to have also old warning/errors markers available in the CL on option.

Best regards
Michal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Bugs in new compiler annotations

Post by eranif »

Yes, I am aware that there are bugs on Linux (on Windows it works flawlessly) - I am still trying to understand whether it is a problem in Scintilla itself and whether I can workaround it.
It would be best for you (for the moment) to revert to codelite prior to this change, the code is kept here:

Code: Select all

svn co https://codelite.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/codelite/branches/codelite_03092009/ codelite_no_annotations/
PS: I know that you are using Qt, and I wondered whether you got a chance to play with the new Qmake plugin. I wrote some docs on it here:
http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/QmakePlugin

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
marfi
CodeLite Expert

Post by marfi »

Hi Eran,
thank you for the advices. My most favorite toolkit is wxWidgets (and I don't want to change my preferences in the near future ;) ) but definitely I'd like to learn Qt as well so I'll try your new plugin. The main reason I didn't like Qt is need of MOC and qmake (the second reason is that an application with native OS widgets and behaviour is in my opinion better than skinned application with native look only...). I guess your plugin simplifies a build process so I'm really curious how it works... :)

Best regards
Michal
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

I actually found out the reason for this 'color / strange chars' problem on Linux.

It appears that Scintilla does not deals well with non-ascii characters (and it seems that gcc produces many of them along the way) - the best solution is to "clean" the tooltip from non printable characters ("isprint()") before setting it in the annotation - I am currently testing it and it seems to fix this bug, I will let you know when I will commit it

The only problem which I dont seem to get a solution atm, is when an annotation is located at teh bottom of the file and the editor does not allow you to scroll down
I will see what can be done here as well.

Eran
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Hi Marfi,

I will appreciate if you can checkout the SVN trunk and try it again now after some modifications I made.

Thanks!
Eran
marfi
CodeLite Expert

Post by marfi »

Now (in rev 2930) it works flawlessly! Thank you! The only problem persists in a case when one warning/error is referenced from several locations. In this case the annotation frame contains as much lines with the same content as appeared in the compiler's output pane. You can see this bug/feature in the attached screenshot. You could also slightly tune used colours because it is quite difficult to read a yellow text on a pink background (in case of warning message).

Btw, I really appreciate the change marker. It is a great feature!

Best regards
Michal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

marfi wrote:You could also slightly tune used colours because it is quite difficult to read a yellow text on a pink background (in case of warning message).
The colours are configurable... and has been for a while now :)

you adjust them from:
- 'settings -> build settings -> build output appearance..'
- or from the 'build' tab, there is a vertical toolbar with colour palette which will take you to the exact dialog as above.

marfi wrote:The only problem persists in a case when one warning/error is referenced from several locations. In this case the annotation frame contains as much lines with the same content as appeared in the compiler's output pane. You can see this bug/feature in the attached screenshot
I noticed it too, and I might tune the tooltip to remove similar lines

Will let you know if it is ready
Eran
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

It seems to be fixed now.

You can see the screenshot below
Eran
marfi
CodeLite Expert

Post by marfi »

Excelent! The fix works also for me. Btw, the first warning from your screenshot should be in gray as well, right? ;)
M.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Yes, seems like a regex problem :P

Will fix it as well

Eran