Missing llvm-ar (Build settings->Archive)

CodeLite installation/troubleshooting forum
Thund
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Missing llvm-ar (Build settings->Archive)

Post by Thund »

Hi everybody!

This question is not directly related to CodeLite but has something to do with it. I'm using clang on MacOSX (Mountain Lion, 10.8.5) so I auto-dectected the compilers using the button of the Build Settings window (Compilers tab) and chose clang (based on LLVM 3.4svn). When I tryed to compile a static library, it failed and a message appeared in the build output window telling me that the "llvm-ar" executable couldn't be found. I searched for it and, as expected, it does not exist in my machine. I've reinstalled clang (using MacPorts) and that tool is not there. If I change the path of the tool in the Archive field of the mentioned window and write just "ar", it works, but I don't know what are the implications of doing this.

Now the questions: Is it wrong the default path which appears in the Archive field? Is the name of the tool obsolete? Did it ever exist? Was it renamed in a previous version? Is thre any problem if I do what I have explained?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all the contributors of CodeLite for such a great IDE :D
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Missing llvm-ar (Build settings->Archive)

Post by eranif »

Thund wrote:If I change the path of the tool in the Archive field of the mentioned window and write just "ar", it works, but I don't know what are the implications of doing this.
There are no implications. It should work without a problem (infact, codelite is built using clang on OSX and is using ar)

I will update the toolchain detection code to use ar on OSX ( I am pretty sure it exists on Windows...)

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

This should be fixed in git head
Thanks
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Thund
CodeLite Curious

Post by Thund »

Thank you so much. I will use "ar" then.