General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
Kanes
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Using codelite + subversion + sftp + PHP coding environment

Post by Kanes »

Hi,

if I create a new PHP based workspace, the 'Workspace' view is disabled.
And as far as I can see in the documentation, SVN settings are made in the Workspace view.

So, how should a project be set up if it needed syntax highlighting for PHP, workspace mirroring via FTP and Subversion repository for commit?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Using codelite + subversion + sftp + PHP coding environm

Post by eranif »

Did you try following this example:
http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/PHP

For subversion:
http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/Subversion

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
Kanes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Kanes »

Eran, thanks for your reply.
Yes I did.
You may safely assume that I am capable of reading the documentation. I should've been more specific; what I'm looking for in the sftp functionality is the workspace mirroring.

Also, I couldn't find a menu for setting repository names, host names etc. for the projects for Subversion.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

You may safely assume that I am capable of reading the documentation
You will be surprised from what I have seen on the forum ;)
Kanes wrote:I should've been more specific; what I'm looking for in the sftp functionality is the workspace mirroring.
To setup the mirroring with PHP, its rather simple, in your PHP tab, click on the "cloud" button and select the account you wish to sync with
On that dialog, select the remote folder.

From this point on, each time you save a file locally, CodeLite will also upload it to the remote site using SFTP

See the below screenshot:
mirror.png
Eran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kanes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Kanes »

Also, I cannot see the Subversion context menu in a PHP workspace, which is available in a C/C++ project. How does Subversion work with PHP-projects?
The documentation doesn't really cover the basic usage in either cases, just some of the settings, not even defining repositories related to the projects.
Kanes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Kanes »

To setup the mirroring with PHP, its rather simple, in your PHP tab, click on the "cloud" button and select the account you wish to sync with
On that dialog, select the remote folder.

From this point on, each time you save a file locally, CodeLite will also upload it to the remote site using SFTP
Eran[/quote]

So this is only limited to uploading files, it cannot perform full synchronization or download changed / new files?
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Kanes wrote:So this is only limited to uploading files, it cannot perform full synchronization or download changed / new files?
The SFTP was designed to allow one to quickly edit files on remote machines, for full sync I guess we have Git/Svn for such purposes.
Adding support for sync a full folder should not be too hard, please file a feature request on GitHub
Kanes wrote:he documentation doesn't really cover the basic usage in either cases, just some of the settings, not even defining repositories related to the projects
The Subversion is a separate plugin which works on the PHP view.
In CodeLite, the Subversion only adds context menu to the "Project" level in the project view, however, you can still use the Subversion as it has its own view.
Settings repositories is not really needed, the SVN plugin will set its view to the current workspace location (or you can force it to different folder by clicking on the folder icon in the
SVN view)

See below screenshot:
svn.png
In the lower view "Output View"->"Svn" you can do all SVN actions you want (commit, update, revert, diff, apply patches etc)
The "Root" folder of the subversion view can be changed by clicking on the orange folder icon or from the context menu "Watch this folder" (tbh, I am not sure if this context menu is available on CodeLite 8.0 or I added it later)

Eran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kanes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Kanes »

Right,
thanks.
Now this explains quite a lot since I seem to be missing the SVN context menu. Maybe it appears after defining the settings for the repository, which I found in the SVN plugin view under the Checkout button?
context menu.png
The user interface is rather counter intuitive, having actions and settings scattered around different menus, context menus and action buttons, and differing depending on the project type; in PHP case also working differently than documented.
I was also expecting to find the SVN view under the Workspace window along explorer and PHP views, not in the 'output windows area' below, as documented in http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/Subversion.
workspace view.png
I'll try again and see if I can get things to work.

We're evaluating CodeLite as an alternative to Dreamweaver, where we have FTP access to a testing server and Subversion for committing the tested changes. The testing server is shared with different developers, so the ability to synchronize files is something that would be nice to have, altough process via version control should pretty much render this a non-issue anyway.

Thanks for the help!
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Thanks for the tips.
I will upload a weekly build for OSX with various fixes that should improve your experience.
Since CodeLite is rather new in the Web world (since version 7) it will be great to have some tips for improvements (you might notice that I come from the C++ world, and now I am adjusting CodeLite to support various web tools, like Node.js and PHP)

Eran
Kanes
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Kanes »

A few experiments later:

- I'm still missing the Subversion context menu under the Project folder in PHP explorer, should it be there and if so, how can I get it to show?
Or is versioning supposed to work only via the SVN output window and explorer there?
How are the Projects and SVN repositories supposed to work together, or are they? Does everything need to be set up in a single repository and checked out into the main workspace directory, or can the different projects exist in different repositories or different directories under the same repository?

I tried checking out two different directories into the projects created into the workspace, but they don't seem to get recognized as versioned files by the SVN view (when selecting their respective directories via the "Select a Directory to view" -button). And like mentioned, there is no Subversion context menu in the PHP file browser.

Is there a step by step how-to for setting up a coding environment even just for a basic PHP project with version control using Subversion?

Edit: Oh I just noticed that you mentioned that the Subversion menu might not exist in Codelite 8.0. I just assumed I was using the latest available version because that was the one offered for download on the website. I'll try the weekly build, then.